What is Naturopathy?
Naturopathy is based on proven results that the human body has an innate healing ability. It is a unique system of medicine that blends centuries old natural, non-toxic therapies with current advances in modern science. Naturopathy has been a distinct primary health care profession for over 100 years covering all aspects of family health from prenatal to geriatric care. This system of medicine concentrates on whole person wellness and the symptoms of disease are signs of imbalance and unfavorable lifestyle habits. It is tailored to the individual and emphasizes prevention and self-care. Naturopathy is effective in treating most health conditions and attempts to find the underlying cause of disease rather than focusing solely on symptomatic treatment.
Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
Unlike most other health care systems, naturopathic medicine is distinguished by the principles that define our profession.
1) The Healing Power of Nature (vis medicatrix naturae) which is the inherent self-healing process of living systems which establishes, maintains and restores health.
2) Identify and Treat the Causes (tolle causam) rather than eliminating or suppressing symptoms.
3) First Do No Harm (primum non nocere) by utilizing methods and medicinal substances which minimize the risk of harmful side effects. Avoid, when possible, the harmful suppression of symptoms; and acknowledge and respect the individual’s healing process, using the least force necessary to diagnose and treat illness.
4) Doctor As Teacher (docere) by educating patients and encouraging self-responsibility for health.
5) Treat the Whole Person (tolle totum) by taking into account individual physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social and spiritual health.
6) Prevention by assessing risk factors and hereditary susceptibility to disease and making appropriate interventions in partnership with the patient. Naturopathic medicine strives to create a healthy world in which humanity may thrive.
7) Health and Wellness by establishing and maintaining optimal health and balance. Wellness is a state of being healthy, characterized by positive emotion, thought and action. Wellness is inherent in everyone, no matter what dis-ease is being experienced. When truly recognized and experienced by an individual, wellness will more quickly heal a given dis-ease than direct treatment of the dis-ease alone.